chibixio

chibixio

Divergent

Divergent - Veronica Roth The truth is: I liked this book a lot. I really enjoyed it. However, I have to admit that the world construction wasn't that good and the story was TOO predictable. Actually, I feel like the only three things I wasn't entirely expecting were Al trying to kill Tris, Four being called Four because he only had four fears (I thought he had been the fourth jumper or something sillier), and Tris' mother saving her instead of Four or Caleb.. Everything else was like "I guess X is going to happen -> Some pages later, X happens".
Nevertheless, I couldn't stop reading. Even if I knew what was going to happen, I still kept looking forward to reading it. The story captured me anyway.
Tris herself wasn't that relatable for me, but I could relate a lot to her circumstances. When she arrived to the Dauntless place I thought I would never be able to stand a single day there, but when the initiation process finally ended I felt that maybe, just maybe, I could do it. Her personal journey was my favorite part of the book, I guess.
I liked Four, yet I felt his feelings for Tris were like "hey, I just met you, and this is crazy, but I'm going to like you". Yeah, I actually fangirl about them, but still...

I'm still torn between giving this book 3 or 4 stars; if I rate it by my usual standards, I have to give it 3, but if I rate it based on my own enjoyment, it's a 4. I guess I'm sticking to the usual (even if it's not 100% consistent - but hey, whose ratings are?).