chibixio

chibixio

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood I loved this book. It's totally scary, yet the scariest part could be its relative plausibility. No, I'm not saying it's going to happen anytime soon; but it could.
The storytelling style isn't for everyone, I guess, but once you get used to it you can appreciate how accurate it is. You can feel Offred. You can look at your surroundings and see yourself at some corner of Gilead. And you get her mental state, too. The way she mixed different times of her life during her tale, the way she was giving away details about her past in a non-lineal order, all of that tells its own chronicle about Offred's mind. She struggles not only to survive, but not to lose herself.
I could start commenting on Gilead's regime, its similarities with real-life regimes or religious ideas, the horrendous violations of human rights, and a long list of etceteras, but I suppose it would be more fit for an essay, or a blog entry, than the quick review I'm supposed to be writing.
The book left me with innumerable questions; it can't be helped: I want to know more about everyone. What happened to the characters in the end. And, specially, what happened to our narrator. However, I loved how the last chapter ended. And the epilogue, in the form of historical notes, was smart, original, and perfect. All we can do now, along with those researchers, is speculate. We'll never know.